Year-round monthly beekeeping workshop. This was created and run for many years by Jeff Ludwig. In 2013 the classes will be presented by a rotating group of SBA members, with occasional appearances by Jeff. In-season classes are held in the apiary of the forest preserve where participants can work with live bees in working hives.
Byron Forest Preserve
Sundays 2:00-4:00pm, $2 per person/per class
- January 13: Checking for winter kill and ordering bees for spring shipment
- February 10: Equipment needs and assembly of new equipment
- March 10: Feeding bees and preparing for splitting over-wintered colonies
- April 14: Feeding bees and installing packaged bees
- May 19*: Knowing when to put on supers and swarm prevention (Phillip Raines)
- June 9*: Honey extraction how-to's
- July 14*: Marketing strategies and health department updates
- August 11*: Checking for mites and overall health of bee colonies (Sue Kivikko)
- September 15*: Getting bees ready for over-wintering
- October 13: Over-wintering review for healthy bees (Sue Kivikko)
- November 10: Cleaning equipment and assembly of new equipment
- December 15: Christmas party for beekeepers, honey tasting, honey recipe samples, wassail, door prizes, and lots of bee talk! (Jeff Ludwig)
*Denotes outdoor workshop, weather permitting.
Bring your bee suits!
Jarret Prairie Center, 7993 N. River Rd., Byron
To sign up, call 815-234-8535 x200